Are you a homeowner in the Portland or Vancouver area? Do you need help with a job around the house? Maybe you’re too busy to keep up with your landscaping. Or your roof has started to leak. Who can you call to help? Sure you could call the first number you find, but how will you know the company you’re working with will do a good job? Today, we’ll share our tips to help you find a handyman you can trust.
Referrals: Ask your family, friends, and neighbors
One of the best ways to find a handyman you can trust is to ask friends, family, and neighbors for personal referrals. If they’ve had a good experience with a company, it’s likely you will, too. But beyond asking for a referral, ask questions, too.
- Who was your handyman?
- What did you like about their service?
- What could have been better?
- Were their services a good value?
- Was there anything they couldn’t help with?
- What made you trust them?
Once you have a referral, take the next step and check the company’s online reputation. Sites like Yelp, Facebook, and even Nextdoor are good places to dive deeper into a local handyman company’s reputation.
Find a licensed contractor
Many homeowners look for someone who can fix the problem they’re having right now. In some cases, all you might need is someone who can touch-up your house’s paint or fix a few loose shingles. But then what happens in the future when you need a bigger repair job done? You’ll be right back where you started, looking for another handyman!
Here at All Around Maintenance, we are contractors licensed in both Oregon and Washington. This means we can help with any size repair job needed. Letting an unlicensed contractor or handyman work on your home is a big risk! Our team is ready to help with a huge variety of jobs, including:
No matter what you need help with, you won’t need to go anywhere else!
Don’t believe everything you hear!
While referrals and reviews are a great place to start, do your homework! Beyond looking at online reviews, call any handyman you’re thinking about working with. Here’s what to look for and ask about:
- Is it easy to get someone on the phone? You don’t want to be waiting for a call back when you’re in a tight spot.
- Who will answer your questions? If you have questions about the quality of work done by a handyman, who will you talk to? Is there a customer service person who can help?
- Is there a warranty or guarantee — does the company stand behind its work?
- Can I talk to previous clients? Even if you have references for a company already, the more info you can find out, the better!
- How long have you been in business? Many handyman service companies haven’t been in business that long and who knows how long they’ll be around for. All Around Maintenance has over 20 years of local experience!
- Do you specialize in a specific service? Some handyman companies are just roofers or siding companies who take on other kinds of jobs to make more money. At All Around Maintenance, that’s just what we are — all around skilled handymen who can help with any kind of project.
Answers to your questions
Do you have questions for our handymen? Check out the most frequently asked questions we hear and then contact us for even more information!
Where do you work?
Our team of trusted handymen works throughout the Portland and Vancouver metro area and surrounding suburbs. If you’re reading this, we’ll probably come see you!
What’s your license number?
- Oregon CCB #202731
- WA License #ALLARAM926JB
Do you do emergency repairs?
Yes! We can come out quickly in the case of a leaky roof or other household emergency and fix the problem fast. If needed, we will put a temporary fix in place and then work with you to plan more extensive repairs.
Do you offer a guarantee for the work of your handymen?
We stand behind our work and will do what it takes to make sure you’re 100% satisfied. In the case of our moss removal treatments, we will come back and reapply the treatment free of charge if the moss comes back within 6 months!
Keep reading our FAQ
Need help with a project around the house?
Give us a call today at (503)-209-2023. We’re here to help with any size project — even emergency repairs! We offer a variety of flexible service options, including both ongoing maintenance packages and one-off visits.
More on our blog…
Roof Maintenance Made Easy
Cold and rainy weather is just around the corner. Is your roof up to the challenge? Read our guide to roof maintenance for Portland-area homeowners for our expert tips.